Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shark Writing, Problem Solving, and Tree Maps

I've been away far too long! I have really good reasons!!!! First, I have been overwhelmed with all of the training for the Common Core standards that we'll begin implementing (and RTI). Then, I had to get ready to begin UGA for my Mathematics Ed.S. degree. Whew, it's been a very long semester filled with so much work! I have two more weeks and then will be finished with the first semester. I love it and am learning so much!!!! Here's what we finished recently:

Shark word problems and writing activity. I found the shark pattern online (maybe Heidi B.) and drew out the tree map. Students worked together to solve the word problems and used a tree thinking map to organize their thoughts about sharks when writing. They used goldfish crackers to work with the problems. I had the teeth and fish cut and ready. I used fuzzy yarn from my closet to help the display;) They loved it!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Great ways of tying it all together!
-Leslie @KindergartenWorks

Sandra said...

Thanks, the students worked really hard and loved all of the activities.