Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ten-frame manipulatives

My teaching of number sense has improved this year. I've learned so much and have really applied it with the students! Another factor of growth includes the use of number talks and ten frames like these cool ten-frame trains and tiles! We use the printed kind too, but really prefer the more concrete versions! I can't say enough about these manipulatives!

Today we used the blue ten-frame trains to work on factors to ten. It is a review for some, but additional practice for others. They used dice to find out how many more they needed to get to ten.


 Another activity was representing teen numbers as ten and some more. They really liked this activity. They used two of the clear ten-frame bases and then helped each find out what Ten and _____ more is 16 or another teen number. Then they wrote those numbers as a number bond.


4 comments:

Leslie said...

I've never seen those kinds of ten frame manipulatives, but it gave me a great idea on making my foam ten frames go a step further. Thanks for sharing. Ten frames have been invaluable to me and my kinders this year too!
-Leslie @KindergartenWorks

Sandra said...

Oooohhhh, I would love to know your idea on how to extend your foam ten frames! I've seen those, but have heard that they are difficult to work with. I love to get your input!
Sandra

Unknown said...

Love the ten frame spinner! I need those!

I am your newest follower! I hope you'll come and check out my "manly" blog!

Greg
Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

Lisa said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Kindergarten Network. I've never seen these plastic ten frames! What a great idea. Feel free to visit my blog sometime. :)

~ Lisa
Teaching Kindergarten Kiddos